A week ago Saturday, my parents joined us for the day and my mom, Sophie and I made Christmas cookies. This has been a family tradition with my mom since I was a kid that my brother and I have helped with each year. So this year since Sophie was two and we thought we would share the tradition with her.
Since I had never made them start to finish I wanted to learn. So we mixed up the cookie dough and the icing. Then it was time to roll out the dough and cut out the cookies. So Grandma and Sophie put on their matching aprons we gave them this year that say "Grandma" and "Grandma's Helper" on them.
We let Sophie help pick out the cookie cutters we were going to use as well as use the rolling pin with help. She did really well with this since she plays with play dough frequently enough. Then while she took a nap Mom and I waited for the cookies to bake.
Then after nap Grandma, Mommy, and Sophie mixed in the icing colors.
| Three cooks in the kitchen |
Now it is finally time to ice the cookies. So with help she iced a few cookies, and then we let her be in charge of putting the sprinkles on the cookies.
Let's just say she became the master sprinkler.
Here is Papaw on standby to eat the mistake cookies :)
At this point she was curious and wanted to try a cookie.
She ended up picking the sprinkles and icing off and giving it to Papaw.
She enjoyed the sprinkles and icing so much it is all over her face and even on her eyelashes.
Oh and all over her fingers...
Here is the finished product. Now it's time to pack some up to send to Uncle Michael and Aunt Lisa.
Here is the very first cookie Sophie helped ice and decorate.
What a fun filled afternoon, hope we can continue to do this for many more years...
oh and Daddy helped decorate and eat cookies too!!