Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bye Bye Binkie

Poor Sophie, after almost two years of having her soothie, it was time to part with it.  Not because she was ready to, more because the soothie was starting to crack.  So I cut the Soothie off the monkey and performed minor surgery on the monkey's mouth to repair him.  Last night when she went to bed we gave her the monkey along with her lambie.  She seemed a bit confused but both Daddy and I reassured her it was okay that she was a big girl and did not need it anymore since it had broke off.   She pouted a tiny bit but went to sleep after a little bit longer time period then normal.  Today she took a nap with the same process and seemed to do okay without the soothie.  It will probably take a few weeks for it to not matter anymore but she has still gotten to keep the monkey that was attached.  I just could not see giving her another soothie when it was the perfect opportunity to make it disappear.  Daddy and I have to remain strong and not give her another one without the monkey attached...patience will pay off I am sure of it.

I wrote the first part of this after two days with no binking.  Here it has been two weeks and we are doing well. No major meltdowns at bed or nap time.  She still sleeps with her monkey that was originally attached to her binkie and her lambie...in addition to two curious george stuffed animals that she talked us into after she gave up her binkie.  She also lays in bed and says "mommy" about 50 times before falling asleep, along with talking to her stuffed Georges.